5 Ways to Remember That You Are Not Forgotten
You are not forgotten.
In the midst of your joy, pain, successes and failures, you are not forgotten.
In an age of people pleasing, social media and instant gratification, we long for those “likes”, “loves” and “wows”. Earthly approval and affirmation are nice perks in life, but we cannot spiritually survive on those things. There will be times where people are too busy, distracted, careless or aloof to what is going on in your life. You may feel like nobody cares. You may feel that people do not get you because all they see is what in on the surface. You may feel forgotten because you are so busy giving and pouring out to others that nobody is even aware of your need to be remembered.
You may feel forgotten, but you are not.
God sees your tears. He understands your pain. He hears your sighs of frustration. He aleady knew that others would fail to remember or notice you, and He says to you today, “I have not forgotten. I remember you.”
God did not forget Noah and his family on the ark when they were obedient to His warning.
God did not forget Joseph when he was in the pit and prison when he dreamed of rising up to do great exploits for God.
God did not forget Job when he lost everything.
God did not forget the widow who gave her last meal.
God did not forget Abraham and Sarah when they were promised a nation of descendants.
God did not forget Esther when she was not called by the King for 30 days.
God did not forget His people as they wandered the wilderness and were taken into captivity.
God did not forget Hannah who longed for a child.
God did not forget David running for his life.
God did not forget His Son when He hung on the cross to die for us.
God did not forget followers of Christ who were hiding, imprisoned and persecuted.
God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He remembered then and He remembers now. He never changes! “For the LORD will not abandon His people, nor will He forsake His inheritance.” Psalm 94:14 God knows, remembers and notices each and every one of you every second of every day. He has already provided a way of escape from your pain and sin, and already has your plan and destiny written out before you were born and for all of eternity. No matter what takes place in this imperfect world or in our imperfect lives, God will never forget you! "Nevertheless, in Your great compassion You did not make an end of them or forsake them, For You are a gracious and compassionate God” Nehemiah 9:31.
The question is not really “Why am I forgotten”? The question should be “What am I forgetting?”
Here are 5 things to remember when you feel forgotten:
1. What does God Word say about how He remembers His children? "For the LORD your God is a compassionate God; He will not fail you nor destroy you nor forget the covenant with your fathers which He swore to them” Deuteronomy 4:31. Start studying the times God’s mercy, forgiveness and love time and time again. Highlight key verses.
2. Have you remembered to get quiet before God? Remember to take time to get quiet before the Holy Spirit and let Him speak to You. Have a journal or recorder ready so you can go back and be encouraged when you feel forgotten. “And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, For You, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You. Psalm 9:10
3. Have you remembered the most important things God chooses not to? When you confess your sins, he remembers them no more. “I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more” (Jeremiah 31:34). "I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more. Isiah 43:25. When you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, your past sins are forgotten. His mercy, grace and restoration are yours for the asking! When Jesus took His last breath, He remembered you. When He rose to life and is sitting at the right hand of Father God, He remembers you. He sent us His Holy Spirit to help us remember.
4. Do you remember that Satan hates you and everyone else on this earth, and wants to deceive you into believing that God has forsaken you? Are you taking your authority in Jesus and standing against his lies? If you truly believe that God has forgotten and forsaken you, you are being deceived, and it’s time to stand up and remind the enemy that he is already defeated!” Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.” 1 Peter 5:8-9
5. Who can you remember? When you feel forgotten, step out and see who else may feel the same. Maybe there is a single parent who could use a phone call or a bag of groceries. Maybe there is a senior at a nursing home who could use a smile and a visit. Maybe there is a child having a rough time at home who could use a night of bowling or some ice cream. Maybe there is pastor who could use a note of encouragement, a cup of coffee or some extra prayer. “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday” Isaiah 58:10.
In the midst of these seasons of feeling forgotten, be deliberate to remember God’s promises for His children now and forevermore. He is with you, and has not forgotten.